Monday, June 27, 2011

Chewy Sugar Cookies


For Christmastime my family would always make cut sugar cookies in the usual holiday shapes – snowmen, candy canes, etc. These cookies were hard, the kind that are great to dip in milk. However for this cookie I was looking for a softer version, something that wouldn’t need to be dunked in milk.

For my 30th birthday (still can’t believe I’m in my 3rd decade!), I got a few cookbooks so I set to work finding a sugar cookie recipe. This version from King Arthur’s Flour was exactly what I was looking for – chewy, moist and delicious. I rolled some in turbinado sugar and some in sprinkles. Dennis said they taste like butter and sugar – you can’t go wrong with that combo!

The Essential Chewy Sugar Cookie (King Arthur Flour Cooking Companion)

Ingredients

3/4 cup butter ( 1 1/2 sticks)

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/4 cup light corn syrup

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 large eggs

2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1/4 cup colored crystal suga or sprinkles

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Lightly grease or line baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, granulated and brown sugars, corn syrup, vanilla, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and egg. Stir in the flour.

Place the course sugar in a shallow dish. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful into the sugar, rolling the balls to coat them. Place on prepared baking sheets.

Bake the cookies for 10 minutes until the edges are just barely beginning to brown, they’ll look soft. Remove them from the oven and cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.

0 comments: