Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti


Dennis was going on a business trip at the beginning of the week so I was looking for something that would still hold up for when he got back. I had a bag of pistachios I was looking to use so when I stumbled upon this recipe for Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti I decided to give it a go.

I’ve never made biscotti before. For whatever reason they intimidated me but they’re really easy to make. The dough for this came together easily, then you just have to form two logs, flatten them slightly and bake. Once they bake for a bit you cut the logs into cookies then bake again on both sides. I baked them for a little less than suggested since I didn’t want them to be too hard. If I was making them for breakfast I might bake longer so they would be good to dunk in coffee. But for an afternoon or post-dinner snack they were perfect.

Dark Chocolate Pistachio Biscotti (adapted from Eat, Live, Run/Gourmet)

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 egg beaten with a little warm water (for egg wash)

Preheat the oven to 325.

Combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix with your hands to create a soft dough. Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead for a minute until smooth.

Divide dough in half and form each half into a long log, about 10-by-two-inches. Flatten each log and place on a lined baking sheet. Brush with egg wash.

Bake for twenty five minutes. Remove from oven, let cool for ten minutes, and then carefully slice diagonally into cookies. Place each cookie cut side down back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional twenty minutes, flipping cookies over halfway through.

0 comments: